It’s my very first spring in DC and you know what that means – cherry blossoms! After the crazy winter we had (i.e. 80 degrees followed by a snowstorm), I wasn’t sure if I’d even be able to see these pretty blooms this year. But Mother Nature pulled through, starting out the spring season with a bang.
I celebrated the beautiful weather with all sleeveless everything. Sun’s out, guns out, amirite? I went with a comfy and casual grey dress, a super soft Tencel trench vest, and my new favorite spring booties. I kept up this classic look with a simple black crossbody, tortoiseshell sunglasses, my go-to Daniel Wellington watch, and dainty gold jewels. For a final feminine touch, I opted for matchy-matchy pale pink lips and nails. Spring, oh how I’ve missed you.
Dress: Abercrombie (similar here and here) | Trench Vest: Gap | Shoes: BP | Crossbody Bag: Gap (similar here)| Sunglasses: Karen Walker | Earrings: Baublebar (similar) | Necklace: Forever 21 (similar) | Watch: Daniel Wellington | Ring: Baublebar | Lips: NYX (‘Pale Pink’) | Nails: Essie (‘Fiji’)
Y’all. It has been a wild 2017 so far. Can you tell by my little leave of absence there?! Oops! Part of the reason is because work (my *real* job) has been nuts and is currently sending me all over the place – and the rest is because of some very exciting news that I can’t wait to share shortly. I don’t want to give away too much yet, but some really fun things are coming to the blog soon, so please bear with me and my scarce posts for a bit!
Now onto sweeter things – like this Valentine’s Day look. When I discovered last year that I had absolutely no pink in my closet, I made a vow right then and there to change that. This bright pink turtleneck brought me from zero to Barbie in .5 seconds, and I can’t say I hate it. Sometimes I like to go subtle with my holiday outfits, but not this time. Although I went classic with dark jeans and neutral booties, I topped off this festive Valentine’s getup with a pop of leopard (duh), big sunnies, and a pair of statement earrings.
Turtleneck: Asos | Jeans: J Brand | Booties: Aldo (similar) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Earrings: J. Crew | Ring: BaubleBar
Happy Valentine’s Day, sweethearts! ❤
For the past few months, I’ve been on the hunt for an emerald green velvet slip dress (not specific at all, right?!), and finally found one just in time to watch the ball drop. Since the slip dress trend is so easy to style and dress up or down, I decided to do just that for a special NYE two ways post!
For the casual look, I went for the Cher Horowitz inspired layering trend that has ruled 2016. I topped it off with two more huge pieces from this year – a choker and Adidas Superstars. Because why wouldn’t I go full 90s to ring in the new year?
Velvet Dress: Love Culture | White Tee: Forever 21 (similar) | Sneakers: Adidas | Bag: Gap (similar here) | Choker: Nordstrom
To dress up this velvet slip, I slipped on a faux fur coat, some lace-up heels (with tassels!), a lariat necklace, and an envelope clutch. For the finishing touch, I added a dark lip for a little drama.
Velvet Dress: Love Culture | Faux Fur Coat: Forever 21 | Shoes: Target | Clutch: Lulu’s (similar) | Lariat Necklace: Forever 21 (similar)
Which look is your fave? Comment below!
For more NYE inspo, check out last year’s post here.
Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year’s Eve! As always, thanks for following TK&PD, and stay tuned for some big thangs comin’ your way in 2017!
One of my favorite things about the holidays (and there are many) is holiday party attire. You just can’t get more fun and festive! This Marchesa Notte gown from Rent the Runway pretty much took my breath away when I saw it. From the luxe hue to the intricate illusion neckline, I cannot get enough. I’m not even a big hi-low hem fan, but with the fabric and the movement of this dress, I can’t even be mad at it.
Behind the scenes ~exclusive~ sidenote: I took these photos on the absolute coldest day so far in DC (the high was 29!). Can’t you tell by my slightly pained expressions? Haha! People were looking at me like I was nuts, and I’m pretty sure I had mild frostbite in my toes. But anything for the picture, right y’all?? #worthit
Dress: Rent the Runway | Shoes: Steve Madden | Earrings: J. Crew Factory | Rings: H&M and Madewell
I hope you all have the happiest of holidays! ❤
If there’s anything better than a classic leather jacket, it’s one that comes in one of my favorite colors: emerald. Loving this festive hue is pretty much in my DNA – not only because it relates to Christmas, but it’s also my birthstone hehe. Since leather jackets are a little badass by nature, I paired mine with a cozy sleeveless turtleneck. Is it just me, or has Target been seriously on their sweater game recently?! To top off the outfit, I went with all of my go-to accessories, my leopard clutch, neutral booties, Karen Walker sunnies, and some fun jewels. Hope y’all don’t mind that those are always on rotation, oops 🙂 This jacket was such a great purchase to wear with dresses and sweaters this fall, and is also proving to be the perfect piece to edge up my holiday looks. Can I get it in every color?
Jacket: Nordstrom | Sleeveless Sweater: Target | Jeans: J. Brand | Booties: Aldo (similar) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Necklace: Betsy Pittard | Ear Jackets: Forever 21 | Rings: H&M and Madewell | Lips: NYX Matte Lipstick (‘Eden’)
Get it, guys? Apples, worms, Cyber Monday..? Okay this one might be a stretch, but I just couldn’t help sharing my recent trip to my hometown’s apple orchard, Carter Mountain. It’s always one of my favorite fall stops! Now as sad as I am to say goodbye to autumn, I’m SO excited for it to *finally* be the holiday season – aka when the rest of the world says it’s socially acceptable to start celebrating. Below you’ll find my biggest sale roundup yet for another favorite holiday of mine, Cyber Monday, to help you shop for everyone on your nice list. Cheers to the unofficial end to fall and the start of the most wonderful time of the year!
Sweater: Goodnight Macaroon | Jeans: J. Brand | Booties: Madewell (similar) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Tassel Earrings: Forever 21 (similar) | Rings: H&M and Madewell
Cyber Monday Sales
- AG Jeans: 30% off everything with code BF16.
- Amazon: Up to 77% off on select items.
- Anthropologie: 20% off full-price items, free shipping over $150.
- Aldo: 50% off select styles; 20% off new arrivals and all regularly priced styles with code CYBER16.
- Alternative Apparel: 50% off with code CYBER50.
- ASOS: 20% off everything with code GOGOGO.
- Banana Republic: 50% off everything, online only.
- Baublebar: 35% off 2+ items with code SAVE35, 25% off everything with code SAVE25.
- Bloomingdales: 25% off a selection of regular and sale-price items, free shipping, and free returns.
- Clare V: 30% off the best of the season and free shipping.
- Current/Elliot: 25% off your purchase with the code THANKS.
- Draper James: 20% off $200, 25% off $300, 30% off $400+.
- Express: 50% off everything and free shipping.
- Forever 21: Deals starting at $4, 21% all orders and free shipping with code CYBER21.
- Free People: Extra 25% off all sale items.
- Gap: 50% off everything with code CYBMON.
- GiGi New York: Spend $125, save 20%; spend $250 save 25%; spend $350 save 30%.
- H&M: 20% off $30+, 25% off $50+, 30% off $100+.
- Herschel Supply: $20 off $60+, $40 off $110+, %60 off $140+.
- J. Crew: For the first time EVER (!), J. Crew is offering 40% off your purchase, in stores and online with code MONDAY. File this under “about damn time.”
- J. Crew Factory: 60% off everything, plus free shipping and extra 40% off clearance with code HAPPYSALE.
- Joe’s: 25% off sitewide, free shipping, and free returns with code CYBER25.
- Joie: 25% off your purchase with code THANKS.
- Kate Spade: 30% off with code WIRED, in store and online.
- LOFT: 50% off everything, in stores and online, with code CYBERMONDAY.
- Lulus: Extra 40% off sale with code 40CYBER.
- Madewell: 25% off your entire purchase with code CYBERMONDAY, in stores and online.
- Macy’s: Extra 20% off and free shipping with $25 purchase with code CYBER.
- ModCloth: 30% off everything and free shipping with code CYBER16.
- Nasty Gal: Up to 80% off.
- Necessary Clothing: 40% off with code WOOHOO.
- Nordstrom: Up to 50% off men’s, women’s and children’s, no code needed, with an extra 20% off select items.
- Old Navy: 50% off everything, even rarely on-sale stuff!
- Revolve: 20% off final sale with code CYBER20.
- Shopbop: 15% off $200, 20% off $500, 25% off $800+ with code GOBIG16.
- Show Me Your Mumu: 50% off sale with code MUMUSALE50.
- Sole Society: 30% off the entire site
- Solid & Striped: 30% off with code CYBERMONDAY.
- Soludos: 25% off everything with code CYBER25.
- Target: Extra 15% off your purchase, online and in stores.
- Tobi: 50% off sitewide, free shipping, and 60% off new arrivals.
- Tory Burch: 30% off everything with code THANKS.
- Topshop: Up to 50% off, in stores and online.
- Urban Outfitters: 50% off $150, $15 off $75, in stores and online.
- West Elm: Up to %50 off.
- Zara: Up to 50% off select items, online and in store.
Happy shopping, friends!
Considering how much I wear my utility jacket, how did I go this long in life without a utility vest?! I picked up this super soft Tencel vest at Gap right before my Asheville trip and I have been wearing it over sweaters, long sleeve tees, and dresses all autumn long. To see how I styled it, scroll on. If you just came for the Black Friday sale roundup, scroll to the bottom!
My favorite things to pair with this utility vest are: a navy gingham button down, an oatmeal colored cableknit sweater, and THIS SHIRT. If you follow a bunch of bloggers, or are a blogger, this isn’t the first time you’ve seen this guy. I saw it on one of my fave bloggers in a million different outfits before finally like-to-knowing the shiz out of it and seeing that it was only $19. I now wear it with a million different outfits too, and this one was no exception.
I finished off the outfit with distressed denim, neutral booties, and a black tassel crossbody. As for accessories, I went with minimal jewelry, my black Daniel Wellington, classic aviators, and a little faux fur poof for a fun touch.
Vest: Gap | Shirt: Nordstrom | Jeans: Teal | Booties: Aldo (similar) | Crossbody: Gap (similar here) | Sunglasses: Ray Ban | Watch: c/o Daniel Wellington | Rings: H&M and Madewell | Nails: OPI Gel (‘Malaga Wine’)
Hope y’all have a happy and delicious Thanksgiving!
Black Friday Sales
- AG Jeans: 30% off sale with code AGTHIRTY.
- Aldo: 50% off already-reduced styles; early risers can take advantage of a 20% off full-price special.
- Alternative Apparel: 40% off with code THANKS40.
- Banana Republic: 50% off one regular-priced item with code BRFIFTY; 40% off the rest of your purchase with code BRFORTY.
- Current/Elliot: 25% off your purchase with the code THANKS.
- Draper James: 20% off sale items.
- Gap: 50% off everything with code TGIF50.
- H&M: Special Black Friday collection, from $4.99.
- Herschel Supply: $10 off orders of $80+, $30 off orders of $120+, and $50 orders of over $160.
- J. Crew: For the first time EVER (!), J. Crew is offering 40% off your purchase, in stores and online. File this under “about damn time.”
- J. Crew Factory: 50-60% off everything, online only.
- Joe’s: 25% off everything with code Thanks25.
- Joie: 25% off your purchase now through Cyber Monday with code THANKS.
- LOFT: 40% off everything with code THANKS.
- Madewell: 25% off your entire purchase with code THATSALE, in stores and online.
- Moda Operandi: 30% off sale with code EXTRA30.
- Nasty Gal: 30% off everything black for Black Friday (cool thanks?). The bankruptcy is starting to make more sense…
- Nordstrom: Up to 50% off men’s, women’s and children’s.
- Old Navy: 50% off everything-ish. No code required.
- Solid & Striped: 30% off with code BLACKFRIDAY.
- Soludos: 25% off all styles with code BLACK25.
- Topshop: Up to 50% off.
- Urban Outfitters: Buy one get one 50% off (all apparel!).
Which sales will you be shopping this weekend? I’m more of a Cyber Monday kind of gal myself (hiii shopping from bed), so stay tuned for more deals coming your way soon! XO
This shirtdress was a last minute purchase I made right before my Asheville trip, and it has ended up being a closet staple. It is SO soft and cozy! This look was perfect for a day of galleries, breweries, and exploring – check out all the details below.
Although this dress comes with a sash, I took it off for the casual and breezy vibe I was going for here. I topped off the outfit with a neutral bag and booties, simple jewelry, and a grey hat. When I wear this dress to work, however, I opt for a cinched waist and some fancy jewels to look a little more polished.
For a fun twist, I tied my favorite fall bandana onto my bag. As you can tell by my lips and nails, I can’t help throwing in a little pop of bordeaux whenever possible. #basic
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be trying to squeeze as many wears as possible out of this dress before the cold weather really sets in. What pieces are you living in this season?
Shirtdress: Gap | Booties: Aldo (similar) | Hat: Target | Bag: Target | Bandana: Madewell | Bangles: c/o Moon & Lola | Rings: H&M | Lips: NYX Matte Lipstick (‘Eden’) | Nails: OPI Gel (‘Malaga Wine’)
Before fall totally sweeps through DC in a couple weeks, my go-to uniform has been pretty simple: a button down and white skinnies. It’s easy, chic, and I can go from work to happy hour like it ain’t no thang. One shirt that has been on major repeat as we start transitioning into cooler temps is this little striped number. I love how classic it is, yet the black buttons give it just the right amount of edge. See how I styled it (and how I plan on styling it for months to come) below!
I’ve been on the hunt for a striped shirt like this for almost a year now, but every single one I found had one little thing wrong with it. Either the color was off, the price wasn’t right, or it looked just a bit too much like old-timey pajamas (anyone feel me on that?). This one checks all the boxes – oh, and did I mention it’s only $12.99?!?
Since you all know I’m all about white pants well into autumn, I decided to pair this shirt with my favorite distressed white skinnies. I love deep blues with rich cognac, so I topped off the look with my everyday Madewell tote, casual wedges, and my new favorite Daniel Wellington watch. To accessorize, I went simple with some minimal gold jewelry and edgy with round sunnies.
As chilly weather really rolls in, I’ll be layering this wardrobe staple under an olive utility jacket, letting the collar and cuffs peek out from a chunky sweater, and wrapping a plaid blanket scarf on top for a little pattern mixing. Probably not all at the same time, but I do tend to layer aggressively during fall and winter, so anything is possible, really.
Shirt: c/o Romwe | Jeans: Old Navy | Wedges: Jessica Simpson | Sunglasses: Forever 21 (similar) | Watch: c/o Daniel Wellington | Earrings: Stylexchange | Rings: H&M | Tote: Madewell | Nails: OPI (‘Cajun Shrimp’)
Labor Day has come and gone, which means the “unofficial” end of summer has too. But we still have a couple more weeks of official summer (and the heat that comes with it), so I’m squeezing the last drops out of the season. How, may you ask, is the best way to do this? A day at the sunflower farm, of course.
For this little adventure, I went with a soft chambray shirtdress that has outfitted me all summer and will surely carry into fall. I can’t wait to wear it layered under cozy cardigans!
Since the dress is pretty simple, I accessorized with a bright coral bandana, tortoiseshell sunglasses, and a good old stack of bourbons on my wrist. To top it off, I carried my favorite Madewell bag to tote around my hand-picked blooms when my basket got too heavy (oops!).
Shirtdress: Old Navy | Bandana: Madewell | Bangles: Bourbon & Boweties | Sunnies: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Lips: NYX Matte Lipstick (‘Indie Flick’)
Special thanks to Burnside Farms for letting us basic b’s take over the farm for the afternoon!
What final summer adventures are y’all squeezing in to these last couple weeks? Comment below so I can live vicariously!