Well hello, all my favorite seasonal pieces in one outfit! Who knew summer lovin’ also applied to clothes? I’ve been a serious outfit repeater with all these items separately, so it only made sense to compile a look with all of them, right? This pineapple top finally went on sale at J. Crew so I scooped that up a few weeks ago, and have been wearing it for both work and play ever since. I love that it can be worn on or off the shoulder – perfect for day-to-night. I paired it with my favorite jeans of the spring/summer(/maybe ever?!) and these sweet pearl sandals that have been making the blogger rounds for the last few months. Turns out the hype is real, though – they are SO comfy and go with everything.
As for accessories, my Cult Gaia bag has been one of my top purchases of the season. Not only do I get compliments on it wherever I go, but my favorite part is that so many sweet older ladies will come up to me and tell me that these types of bags were super popular when they were young! That makes it feel even more special and unique (even though everyone and their mother has it, but whatever guys). To finish off the look, I opted for my Karen Walker shades, navy tassel earrings, dainty bangles, and another fave repeat offender – my mood ring. I don’t know why I ever stopped wearing one because they are so much fun and make me feel like I’m 12 again. Plus, the colors are all really pretty (unless I’m stressed and it turns black). #y2kproblems
What are you lovin’ on this summer?
Top: J.Crew (on sale!) | Jeans: Levi’s | Shoes: Steve Madden | Bag: Cult Gaia | Sunglasses: Karen Walker | Earrings: H&M | Gold Ring: Baublebar | Mood Ring: Etsy | Bangles: c/o Moon & Lola | Lips: NYX (‘Summer Breeze’) | Nails: Essie (‘Topless and Barefoot’)
If there’s ever been a piece that perfectly transitions from work to happy hour, it’s these flippin’ pants, y’all. And best of all? They feel like PJs! I gazed at these babies all spring trying to decide if I really needed them, but then they finally went on sale (and it turns out, yes, I definitely needed them).
Since the pants are enough of a statement by themselves, I kept the rest of the outfit pretty simple. A white tank, a neutral bag and shoes, and a denim jacket was all this look needed to let my party pants shine. Of course, I couldn’t resist adding in a couple fun details – the embroidery on my bag, ball drop earrings, and rose gold mirrored sunglasses.
Top: Old Navy | Pants: J. Crew | Heels: Steve Madden | Denim Jacket: Gap | Crossbody Bag: Francesca’s | Sunglasses: Amazon | Earrings: Amazon | Rings: Baublebar | Lips: NYX (‘Pale Pink’)
Cape Cod, gingham, white jeans, an American flag – what could be more Memorial Day than that? The stars (and stripes) aligned for this all-American look, just in time for the holiday.
Y’all know by now that I never miss a situational dressing opportunity, so it’s not too surprising that I went with this patriotic ensemble featuring blue, white, and a couple pops of red. This gingham off the shoulder top was an obvious choice, and white jeans are always an MDW staple. To accessorize, I went with a couple repeat offenders: my lace up heels, nude crossbody with embroidered details, and bright red tassel earrings. Who’s ready for some rosé and watermelon?!
Happy Memorial Day!
Top: J. Crew | Jeans: Old Navy | Crossbody Bag: Francesca’s | Shoes: BP | Sunglasses: Karen Walker | Earrings: H&M | Rings: Baublebar | Lips: NYX Matte Lipstick (‘Indie Flick’) | Nails: OPI Gel (‘Alpine Snow’)
This bodysuit, you guys. I think I’m in love. For some reason I’ve never been a big bodysuit wearer (perhaps because I haven’t had the right jeans for them, but more on that later), however that instantly changed when I found this fun little piece. It’s incredibly comfortable, flattering, and the low/bow back is just too good. It was perfect for my birthday brunch a couple weeks ago, and I’m looking forward to wearing it on cool summer nights all season long.
For this look, I knew I needed some distressed high-waisted jeans that weren’t too light, weren’t too dark – and they had to be Levi’s. This pair from Shopbop met all my requirements and then some. These have been on maj repeat this spring, and I’ve been getting so many compliments on them! As for the rest of the outfit, I went with lace up heels, my embroidered crossbody, go-to gold jewels, and some party girl earrings. Y’all know I can’t resist a little bit of color!
Bodysuit: Topshop | Jeans: Levi’s | Crossbody Bag: Francesca’s | Shoes: BP | Earrings: J.Crew (similar) | Rings: Baublebar | Lips: NYX Butter Gloss (‘Fortune Cookie’) | Nails: OPI Gel (‘Alpine Snow’)
Y’all. It has been a wild 2017 so far. Can you tell by my little leave of absence there?! Oops! Part of the reason is because work (my *real* job) has been nuts and is currently sending me all over the place – and the rest is because of some very exciting news that I can’t wait to share shortly. I don’t want to give away too much yet, but some really fun things are coming to the blog soon, so please bear with me and my scarce posts for a bit!
Now onto sweeter things – like this Valentine’s Day look. When I discovered last year that I had absolutely no pink in my closet, I made a vow right then and there to change that. This bright pink turtleneck brought me from zero to Barbie in .5 seconds, and I can’t say I hate it. Sometimes I like to go subtle with my holiday outfits, but not this time. Although I went classic with dark jeans and neutral booties, I topped off this festive Valentine’s getup with a pop of leopard (duh), big sunnies, and a pair of statement earrings.
Turtleneck: Asos | Jeans: J Brand | Booties: Aldo (similar) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Earrings: J. Crew | Ring: BaubleBar
Happy Valentine’s Day, sweethearts! ❤
…At least that’s what my shirt says, anyway. Y’all know I’m partial to rocking some color, but sometimes you just gotta go back to the basics – black, white, and shades of gray. This faux fur coat from SheIn features all three, making it my new favorite winter weather piece that goes with just about everything.
This jacket has an athletic, almost bomber-style shape to it, so I went with a more sporty vibe with this outfit. I opted for a black tee, gray distressed jeans, and these seriously killer Taxidermy high tops. You didn’t think I’d leave an outfit untouched by at least a little pop of color, did you? Simple aviators and a topknot *topped* (see what I did there) off the rest of this sporty-chic look.
I accessorized with a classic crossbody, sparkly black studs to add a little femininity to the outfit (can’t help myself), and a white marble inspired ring, because #bloggerslovemarble. Last but not least, I finished off the look with matte nude lips thanks to the Kylie Lip Kit. Yep, I tried it – and no, I don’t hate it.
Before the warm weather takes over Charleston very soon, I’ll be wearing this coat with everything I own. Oh, and did I mention it’s only $37? *insert praise hands here*
Faux Fur Coat c/o SheIn | Tee: Old Navy (sold out) | Skinnies c/o Teal | Crossbody: Gap | Sneakers c/o Taxidermy | Sunglasses: Ray Ban | Earrings: J. Crew (similar) | Rings: H&M | Lips: Kylie Lip Kit (‘Candy K’) | Nails: Essie (‘Barefoot & Topless’)
Photos by Smith Photos + Ink
It’s that time again! If you need help finishing your Christmas shopping (or starting if you’re irresponsible/me), I’ve got you covered. Below you’ll find gift guides for both her and him, featuring a little bit of everything to cover all the folks on your nice list. You know I’m always down for some cheapies, but I made the price point all across the board here since you’ll probably be spending more on your boo than your office secret santa. Take a peek at my picks!
- J. Crew Pom-Pom Beanie – Keep your BFF cozy and chic in a faux fur pom hat. This neon pink one is sold out (but like belonged in my gift guide, sorrz), however there are similar/cheaper ones here and here.
- Charleston Rice Bead Earrings – A Candy Shop Vintage creation made the list again, and I’m not mad about it. I didn’t want to include the studs last year since that’s what I was getting my sisters, but they are my absolute favorite!
- Hanky Panky Thong – You won’t go wrong with one of these guys. The ladies in your life can never have enough, and if they’re anything like me, they rarely feel like shelling out $20+ to purchase a pair for themselves.
- Cravings by Chrissy Teigen – *ALERT* this would be pre-order only (since it won’t be released until February), but you could wrap up the gift receiver’s favorite “craving” instead. Look how clever you are!
- The Burlap Bag Candle – With scents like “Baked Bread,” “Cuddles,” and “La-La Land,” these creative candles are great if you need a silly stocking stuffer. They are also made with soy wax so you won’t be gifting toxic chemicals! Hooray!
- GiGi New York Mini Zip Card Case – I don’t know about y’all, but I always think it’s a classy move when I ask for a business card and someone whips out a fancy little holder like this. This is also something that most people don’t think to buy themselves, making it the perfect present!
- Nasty Gal Girl Boss Desk Plate – For the hustler in your life. Perhaps not ideal for cubicles at large companies, but to each her own.
- Lip Kit by Kylie – Sooo tbh this gift guide was supposed to go live on Monday, meaning you would have known about the restock and could have actually bought this, but you could always buy it on eBay or wrap up an IOU. Friends don’t let friends buy their own Kardashian products!
- Chiara Ferragni iPhone Case – Gold, glitter, and a wink? What’s not to love?
- Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Eyeshadow Palette – I was shopping with my blogger babe Brittany of Southern Meets Chic the other day, and she always keeps me in the know about must-have products like this one. (Blake Shelton sold separately.)
- Daniel Wellington Watch – A gift from a classy lady. Give your man something he’ll have forever and ever with one of these babies.
- Money Pizza Respect by The Fat Jew – If your bf/brother/dad(?) is a fan of @thefatjewish on insta, pick up a copy to give him the full effect. This book has some pretty mixed (slash terrible) reviews, but you be the judge.
- Ted Baker Ear Flap Hat – I get major Buddy the Elf on his first date vibes from this hat. That’s mainly why it made the list.
- Jimmy Fallon Pocket Dial – ICYMI, Jimmy Fallon combined an iPhone case with a pocket square and then decided to actually sell it at J. Crew. To make the Pocket Dial even better, 100% of net proceeds will go to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. #fallon4prez
- Jack Rudy Cocktail Co. Small Batch Tonic – Pretty sure I feature this stuff in every gift guide ever, but that should tell you how good it is. Love that it’s also local to Charleston!
- Beats Pill Wireless Speaker – For the music man in your life. If he’s less of a Dr. Dre and more of a Duke Ellington, opt for a Crosley instead.
- Yeti Rambler Tumbler – For some reason this is like a really big deal this year, so why not jump on the bandwagon?
- Wood and Nickel Threshold Bar Cart – Win Christmas with this *manly* wooden bar cart. Bonus points if you stock it with his favorite beer and bourbon.
- Storm Trooper Mug – Shopping for a Star Wars nerd? Further no search (see what I did there?). Chances are, he’ll still be depressed that the premiere is over, so this will bring a little light back into his life.
- Shearling Lined Slippers – Pretty self explanatory, but seriously loving the buffalo plaid.
For more ideas, check out last year’s (still relevant) gift guides here!
Picking out a Christmas tree – is there anything better? This year we trekked out to Toogoodoo Tree Farm to do things the old-fashioned way, and it was too much fun. Get ready for some cheesiness below!
Kind of similar to my Valentine’s Day shoot from earlier this year, I somehow convinced my sweetheart to hop in a few pics with me. Taking solo shots at a Christmas tree farm just feels wrong, and honestly Will is so cute I can’t resist forcing him into a shoot every so often. Sue me, y’all. Our truly insane (yet very photogenic) pup, Louie, even cooperated for a couple minutes, clearly taking his job very seriously. #modelbehavior
Since we were, after all, at a farm, I kept things casual with my outfit. A fair isle sweater, comfy legging jeans, vintage bean boots, and a fur pom hat. Details on both of our looks are below!
Thanks to my wonderful photographer + friend, Jess of Smith Photos + Ink, for coming along on our little field trip to capture this fun day. And a special shoutout to Toogoodoo Tree Farm for disputing the belief that tree farms don’t exist this far south! Happy holidays, everyone ❤
Sweater: Loft | Skinnies c/o DL1961 | Hat: Free People | Boots: LL Bean | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto (use code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!) | Lips: Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in “Standout” | Nails: OPI in “Center of the You-niverse”
Shirt: J. Crew (similar) | Jeans: J. Crew | Boots: John Varvatos | Sunglasses: Ray Ban | Coat: LL Bean (similar)
Photos by Smith Photos + Ink
Happy first day of fall, y’all! Call me basic, but this is my absolute favorite time of the year (other than Christmas, duh). The weather, the leaves, the clothes – oh, the clothes. Today I’m kicking off the best season evs with this layered look to celebrate the return of 75 degree days, ordering hot coffee instead of iced, and being basic at heart (and not at all sorry about it).
I picked up this skirt at Topshop during my NYC month (#takemeback) and have been waiting for the perfect time to wear it. Although it could be seen as a warm-weather piece, I had big fall outfit plans for this baby. Charleston doesn’t really get the autumn memo until about November, so I’m always trying to find skirts and dresses that will be seasonally appropriate until then. Pairing this skirt with some layers did the trick (doesn’t it always?), so I decided to go with my chambray shirt and metallic rose gold sweater on top. To add to the schoolgirl vibe I was getting, I topped off the outfit with sneakers, a plaid scarf, and my Daniel Wellington watch.
To accessorize this look, I decided to counteract the sweetness of the outfit with some edgy touches: plum lips, black nails, my leopard clutch, and these fab Karen Walker sunnies. I’ve been trying to decide which Karen Walkers I want for months, then finally my prayers were answered with a little thing called Ditto. If Rocksbox is the Netflix of jewelry, then Ditto is the sunglasses version. For $24 a month you get unlimited designer sunnies delivered to your door, and let me just say that it’s kind of the best thing ever. If you’re as indecisive with sunglasses as I am, you gotta try it – and if you’re on the fence, use promo code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!
Chambray Shirt: J. Crew | Sweater: J. Crew (similar) | Skirt: Topshop | Sneakers: New Balance | Scarf: Gap (similar here) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunnies: Karen Walker c/o Ditto | Watch: Daniel Wellington | Bracelet c/o Moon & Lola | Arrow Ring c/o Lilli & Tori | Midi Rings: H&M | Lips: NYX Simply Vamp Lip Cream (Temptress) | Nails: Essie (Licorice)
Is anyone as pumped for fall as I am? Comment below what part of autumn you’re most excited about so we can celebrate together ❤
Time for some exciting news, y’all. Next week, I’m leaving for New York City – for the entire MONTH of August! I’m so so excited and I would love to hear any suggestions of things to do, eat, and see while I’m there.
I decided to post this special announcement with my go-to airport outfit that has been on repeat this summer. I know it’s a little more fitting for a flight to the beach than NYC – but I live at the beach so you guys can just deal with it, k? Take a look at this chic yet comfy look below!
When it comes to traveling, I’m all about a nice stretchy pair of distressed jeans. These Old Navy ones were super affordable, so I’m not worried about messing them up during my travels. Next, I usually go with a loose, flowy top. This blue and white striped one from Loft is perfect! It’s light enough to wear when it’s 10000 degrees when I’m leaving Charleston, but also keeps me warm on the chilly plane ride.
Next on the list: easy sandals, a good hat (now I don’t have to worry about it getting smushed in my suitcase!), and a sturdy tote. I’m a huge fan of Madewell’s transport tote – it can hold so much and it’s durable AF but super soft. As for accessories – just some fun sunnies, minimal jewels, and my watch so I don’t miss my flight! Last but not least, my secret weapon to combat those early flight induced dark circles – bright pink lipstick. And a little coffee doesn’t hurt, either.
See you in a few weeks, Charleston!
Top: Loft (50% off with code HEATWAVE) | Skinnies: Old Navy (similar and only $19!) | Sandals: Tory Burch | Panama Hat: J. Crew | Tote: Madewell | Sunnies: ASOS | Watch: Michael Kors | Bangles: Moon & Lola | Rings: H&M | Lips: NYX (Shocking Pink) | Nails: OPI (Pink-ing Of You)
Photos by Smith Photos + Ink