Happy first day of fall, y’all! Call me basic, but this is my absolute favorite time of the year (other than Christmas, duh). The weather, the leaves, the clothes – oh, the clothes. Today I’m kicking off the best season evs with this layered look to celebrate the return of 75 degree days, ordering hot coffee instead of iced, and being basic at heart (and not at all sorry about it).
I picked up this skirt at Topshop during my NYC month (#takemeback) and have been waiting for the perfect time to wear it. Although it could be seen as a warm-weather piece, I had big fall outfit plans for this baby. Charleston doesn’t really get the autumn memo until about November, so I’m always trying to find skirts and dresses that will be seasonally appropriate until then. Pairing this skirt with some layers did the trick (doesn’t it always?), so I decided to go with my chambray shirt and metallic rose gold sweater on top. To add to the schoolgirl vibe I was getting, I topped off the outfit with sneakers, a plaid scarf, and my Daniel Wellington watch.
To accessorize this look, I decided to counteract the sweetness of the outfit with some edgy touches: plum lips, black nails, my leopard clutch, and these fab Karen Walker sunnies. I’ve been trying to decide which Karen Walkers I want for months, then finally my prayers were answered with a little thing called Ditto. If Rocksbox is the Netflix of jewelry, then Ditto is the sunglasses version. For $24 a month you get unlimited designer sunnies delivered to your door, and let me just say that it’s kind of the best thing ever. If you’re as indecisive with sunglasses as I am, you gotta try it – and if you’re on the fence, use promo code TOPKNOTS for your first month free!
Chambray Shirt: J. Crew | Sweater: J. Crew (similar) | Skirt: Topshop | Sneakers: New Balance | Scarf: Gap (similar here) | Clutch: Clare V | Sunnies: Karen Walker c/o Ditto | Watch: Daniel Wellington | Bracelet c/o Moon & Lola | Arrow Ring c/o Lilli & Tori | Midi Rings: H&M | Lips: NYX Simply Vamp Lip Cream (Temptress) | Nails: Essie (Licorice)
Is anyone as pumped for fall as I am? Comment below what part of autumn you’re most excited about so we can celebrate together ❤
Back to school shopping has brought me an absurd amount of joy ever since I can remember. Despite the fact that I’ve been out of school for a couple years now, “back to school” clothes have and will always be a thing. Just because we’ve graduated college (*tear*) doesn’t mean we can’t get excited about pencil pouches, new backpacks, and a fresh pair of sneakers. I mean if you think about it, we’re kind of getting the best deal here – we get to buy pretty planners and fun keychains, but we don’t have to do homework. Ever again. So in your face, kids.
To celebrate the beginning of another school year, the unofficial beginning of fall, and festive shopping, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite back to school gear that will have you dying to sharpen a pencil. Can’t you just hear the lunch bell ringing?
- Leopard Print Baseball Cap: Cover up your bed head while still looking effortlessly chic. Does it get any better than that? Oh yeah, the fact that it’s only $11.
- Frends Headphones: Be the cool kid on the bus with these babies. I think I include these in pretty much every shopping guide I’ve ever posted, but can you blame me?
- Warby Parker Glasses: Nerdy chic has never looked so good with these spectacles. Don’t have a prescription? Your secret is safe with me (and Warby Parker).
- Fur Keychain: Fashionistas everywhere are rocking fun keychains on handbags, backpacks – you name it. Hang this merlot-hued fur keychain from your favorite bag for a playful fall twist.
- Distressed Cognac Backpack: From the tassel zipper to that perfectly distressed (faux) leather, this backpack is everything.
- White Marble Backpack: Look like every blogger’s insta backgrounds with this white marble backpack! Yes, I’m just bitter that I don’t have marble countertops.
- Black Quilted Backpack: Chic, classic, and a little edgy, this backpack could even be work-appropriate.
- Rifle Paper Co. Agenda: Everyone’s favorite floral print, now on a planner. Need I say more?
- I Am Very Busy Agenda: Pencil in your events and appointments in style, you busy bee. Also comes in pink & rose gold! *insert heart eyes emoji here*
- Striped Travel Mug: Is anyone else a serious sucker for these ban.do mantras? This travel mug is perfect for back to school and will remind you that you’re awesome. Even if you didn’t really do your best.
- Polka Dot Travel Mug: For those of you who want a travel mug that doesn’t talk to you. You know I can’t resist those polka dots, Kate Spade!
- Essie Fall 2015 Mini Four-Pack: Essie’s newest seasonal collection makes my basic little heart happy. Try out the top colors above, or check out the full collection here.
- New Balance 620 Sneakers: As someone whose feet cry after an hour in heels, I’m a big fan of the sneaker craze right now. Bonus points if they’re in festive fall colors like this pair!
- Daniel Wellington Watch: What would back to school shopping be without a shiny new timepiece? If you’re ready to graduate from your Michael Kors, pick up one of these – I promise you won’t regret it.
- Stay Focused Pencil Pouch: More words of encouragement from ban.do, and very fitting when you have crippling ADD.
- Assorted Pen Set: Because you need cute pens and pencils to put in your cute pencil pouch, duh.
- Metallic Hair Ties: Ponytails don’t have to be limited to workouts. Channel your 4th grade self (and shave off a few minutes of your morning routine) with a pretty pony.
So can we all just agree to never stop back to school shopping? Even though I’m kind of always back to school shopping? I’m not going to apologize, because buying cute pens will never not be fun. Happy first day of school/work/unofficial fall, y’all!